According to homethodology, Belle, West Virginia is a small city located in the Kanawha Valley of the Appalachian Mountains. It is situated on a bend of the Kanawha River and is surrounded by lush green hills. The city has a rich history, having been established in 1788 as the first permanent settlement in what would become West Virginia. The economy of Belle has traditionally been based on agriculture, but now it is more diversified with coal mining, manufacturing and tourism playing important roles.
The education system in Belle is also well-developed. There are several elementary schools and one high school that serve the community. In addition, there are several higher education institutions nearby including Marshall University and West Virginia University Institute of Technology. These universities offer a variety of degree programs to students from all over the world.
In terms of landmarks, Belle has many attractions that draw visitors from far and wide. One such landmark is Belle Castle which was built by John Rolfe in 1790 and still stands today as an iconic symbol of the city’s history. Other notable landmarks include the Belle Historic District which features Victorian-era homes as well as several churches from different denominations; Fort Randolph which served as an American fort during the Revolutionary War; and Prickett’s Fort State Park which offers visitors a look into early pioneer life in America through its reconstructed cabins and other historic structures.
Population: 1,259. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,187 (-5.7% change)
Males: 575 (45.7%), Females: 684 (54.3%)
Zip code: 25015
Median resident age: 42.2 years
Median household income: $34,118
Median house value: $68,600
Races in Belle:
- White Non-Hispanic (95.2%)
- Two or more races (2.7%)
- Hispanic (1.3%)
- Black (0.9%)
- Other race (0.9%)
- American Indian (0.6%)
Ancestries: United States (19.4%), Irish (11.7%), English (9.9%), German (8.7%), Scotch-Irish (3.7%), Italian (2.5%).
Elevation: 617 feet
Land area: 0.7 square miles
Belle, West Virginia is a small town located in Kanawha County. Its population as of 2019 was 2,918 people. The town has a median household income of $33,000 and the median home value is $93,700. The cost of living in Belle is very affordable compared to the national average. Housing costs are approximately 10% below the national average and utilities are around 4-5% lower than the national average. The average price for a 3 bedroom house or apartment is around $800-$900 per month. The cost of groceries and other essentials such as clothing and entertainment are also quite affordable in Belle. Many residents enjoy shopping at local stores for quality goods at great prices. There are plenty of restaurants to choose from offering delicious food at reasonable prices. Overall, Belle offers an affordable lifestyle for those looking for a small town atmosphere with easy access to larger cities such as Charleston and Huntington.
For population 25 years and over in Belle
- High school or higher: 84.6%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 13.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.2%
- Unemployed: 3.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 27.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Belle town
- Never married: 21.5%
- Now married: 55.8%
- Separated: 1.0%
- Widowed: 10.5%
- Divorced: 11.2%
1.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -86 (-6.4%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Belle:
- WEST VIRGINIA REHAB HOSP (about 4 miles; INSTITUTE, WV)
- HIGHLAND HOSP (about 7 miles; CHARLESTON, WV)
- CHARLESTON AREA MED CNTR (about 11 miles; CHARLESTON, WV)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Belle:
- YEAGER (about 10 miles; CHARLESTON, WV; Abbreviation: CRW)
- RALEIGH COUNTY MEMORIAL (about 43 miles; BECKLEY, WV; Abbreviation: BKW)
- TRI-STATE/MILTON J. FERGUSON FIELD (about 71 miles; HUNTINGTON, WV; Abbreviation: HTS)
Other public-use airports nearest to Belle:
- LOGAN COUNTY (about 37 miles; LOGAN, WV; Abbreviation: 6L4)
- BOGGS FIELD (about 43 miles; SPENCER, WV; Abbreviation: 14P)
- LEON (about 43 miles; LEON, WV; Abbreviation: W07)
Amtrak stations near Belle:
- 11 miles: CHARLESTON (350 MCCORKLE AVE. SE). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
- 16 miles: MONTGOMERY (WASHINGTON ST. & 3RD AVE.). Services: public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Belle:
- WEST VIRGINIA STATE COLLEGE (about 4 miles; INSTITUTE, WV; Full-time enrollment: 3,688)
- MARSHALL UNIVERSITY (about 63 miles; HUNTINGTON, WV; Full-time enrollment: 12,361)
- CONCORD COLLEGE (about 66 miles; ATHENS, WV; Full-time enrollment: 2,723)
- BLUEFIELD STATE COLLEGE (about 70 miles; BLUEFIELD, WV; Full-time enrollment: 2,096)
- WEST VIRGINIA UNIVERSITY AT PARKERSBURG (about 71 miles; PARKERSBURG, WV; Full-time enrollment: 2,306)
- SOUTHWEST VIRGINIA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 81 miles; RICHLANDS, VA; Full-time enrollment: 2,412)
- OHIO UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 85 miles; ATHENS, OH; Full-time enrollment: 18,721)
Public high school in Belle:
- RIVERSIDE HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,172; Location: #1 WARRIOR WAY; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Belle:
- DUPONT MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 399; Location: 301 WEST 34TH STREET; Grades: 06 – 08)
- BELLE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 298; Location: 401 E 6TH ST; Grades: PK – 05)